XM gets "sirius"

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Sun Dec 28 19:49:08 EST 2003

>Paul Anderson wrote:
>
> > AM and FM radio has failed to provide anything other than
> > lowest-common-denominator entertainment.  The generality that it's fine
> > for most people might be true, but most people I talk to (neighbors,
> > friends and coworkers) have similarly given up on traditional radio for
> > music.

This "lowest common denominator" argument has been around for decades.  Who
was the FCC commisioner who described tv as a "vast wasteland"?  This was
in the 50s if I'm not mistaken.  So much for "golden era".  Maybe we're
just getting harder to please...57 channels and nothing's on (what a great
idea for a song!).  The real test of XM/Sirius is when the novelty wears off.

A. Joseph Ross wrote:

>If this is a real trend that can be tracked in ratings, one would think
>that the owners of radio
>stations would notice, worry about it, and change their programming in
>response.  But I
>suspect that (a) the effect hasn't impacted ratings enough for them to be
>worried, and (b) the
>inertia of large corporations is great.

1 million +/- receivers sold.  What's the population of the U.S....270
million or something like that?  Pretty small percentage of the
population.  Will satellite radio eventually become a factor?  Probably,
though as Ben Gore noted in his post, there is so much competiton for our
time these days it's not likely -anything- will attain the critical mass
radio had, and to a great degree still has.

My guess is that it will evolve in a way similar to tv...other than us on
this list, how many people differentiate between a cable-only channel and a
broadcast one?   I really don't see how the extremely "narrow but deep"
formats of satellite radio can transfer to terrestrial.  The only way
terrestrial radio can compete with that is even more consolidation where
one company can "own" a large number of formats in a given market and pitch
them to advertisers as a group.  And we know how popular -that- scenario is
in certain circles.