DirecTV (was TV Guide editions)

Mark Laurence mlaurence@mindspring.com
Fri Dec 26 00:03:38 EST 2003

On Thursday, December 25, 2003, at 01:30  PM, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> Anyway, Ch 9 on DirecTV had ghosts! If you're in Line of Site of a
> Broadcast
> Signal, and the Signal on DirecTV (or any Satellite service FTM)
> bounces off
> the bucket of bolts 25K Mi up, ghosts are too be expected? When the
> DirecTV
> is set to Ch 5 WCVB, there are no ghosts.
>
> Anyone else notice this with their satellite service if their
> line-of-site
> to a broadcast signal?

Channel 9 is really bad on DirecTV, and has been ever since they added
it to Boston local service.  The other New Hampshire signals, 11 and
50, are much clearer.  50 looks pretty bad too, but I think that's
their own quality control, and not the feed to the bird.   I think
DirecTV must look at WMUR-TV as a government-imposed waste of
bandwidth.  That's not too far from the truth, since they are almost a
complete clone of WCVB, except for local news.

Mark