WBOQ changes to 60s/70s AC/oldies

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Thu Dec 25 17:40:54 EST 2003

Pete Ferrand wrote:

>Now I think there's another potential reason for the WBOQ switch - it
>could be the old format was working, but was just too much effort. Radio
>is management-intensive anyway, and it could be the new owners looked at
>it and said, "Well they made it work, to a point, but I've no idea how I
>can make it work." If whoever was managing isn't there anymore, the new
>owner might reasonably feel he could handle AC/Oldies, or find someone
>who could, while finding someone who could make a little of this and a
>little of that work is a crap shoot, with crappy odds.

My guess is we'll see more of this as some of the remaining owner/operators
retire.  Stations like WDEV, WIRY and others that are still doing radio the
way it was done 35 years ago are likely more a hobby that they make a
living at rather than a business, per se....ie they're probably making a
lot less than they could, but they do it because, in the words of ol' Blue
Eyes...they're doing it their way.  New owners won't have that nostalgia,
and besides the bank will want their mortgage payment on time.