TV Guide editions

Paul Hopfgarten paul@03038.com
Thu Dec 25 13:22:19 EST 2003

How about 1 national TV Guide (20,000 pgs each week, one page for the
channel listings for one show...and how many different combos used to
represent the 1000 Ch 2s or Ch3s......)

-Paul Hopfgarten
-East Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org]On Behalf
Of Paul Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 9:30 PM
To: Boston Radio Mailing List
Subject: Re: TV Guide editions

On Dec 24, 2003, at 12:17 PM, Scott Fybush wrote:

> My friends on the WTFDA (TV/FM DXers list) have been noticing that TV
> Guide has consolidated a number of its regional editions out of
> existence, effective with the 12/27/03 issue. Here in Rochester, our
> "Rochester Edition" (which listed Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse) has
> been merged into "Western New York," which now also includes Erie,
> Elmira and even University Park PA...lots of channels that don't come
> in for viewers here, even with the Big Ol' Yagi on the roof.
>
> I know TVG consolidated the old Worcester edition out of existence
> years ago...anybody noticing changes in their TVG this week elsewhere
> in New England?

The Boston and Providence editions have been eliminated, replaced by a
Boston-Providence edition.  At first glance, it appears to be the sum
of the two editions, except for the addition of the Pax station in
Concord NH and eliminations of the Pax stations on Block Island RI and
New London CT.

Yes, it will be more confusing to viewers to have lots of extra
channels listed which they can't receive.  And the
white-on-black/black-on-white channel numbers have been retained in the
combined edition, which makes no sense whatsoever.  White-on-black
numbers have typically been used for local stations and black-on-white
for out-of-town stations.  But now channels 3 and 30 from Connecticut
are listed as "local" while the Providence channels are listed as
"out-of-town".

Paul