NPR : Death of the 'Concept' Album?'

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Dec 24 14:17:58 EST 2003

<<On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:12:11 -0500 (EST), "SteveOrdinetz" <steveord@bit-net.com> said:

> The transcript didn't seem to be popsted on line, and I'm currently at a
> computer with no sound card so I couldn't listen, but hasn't the whole
> "concept album" thing been dead for years?  What was the last successful
> one..."The Wall" maybe?  That came out 24 years ago.

I'm not sure I've ever understood what a ``concept album'' was
supposed to be, but there have certainly been ``single-story-arc
albums'' more recently than that.  (I probably have some, but that
part of my brain is swapped out right now so I'm at a loss for
titles.)  I don't think that these have ever been a very substantial
part of the business; mass-market music has always been song-oriented.

-GAWollman