WVCA and Simon Geller

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Dec 22 16:15:28 EST 2003

At 04:00 PM 12/22/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>While I don't have any airchecks of Simon, I do have a couple of a station
>(whose calls escape me right now) in a suburb of Erie, Pa. which was
>another one-man operation.  James Brownyard was the owner's name...very
>weird station...a mix of really old-style country and long, unintelligible
>rants.  I believe it was an AM/FM combo.

Ah yes, the legendary WHYP, North East, Pa. (which was, of course, nowhere
near Northeast PA, but was in northeastern Erie County, PA, right on the NY
line.)

I remember driving through that area in the mid-80s and hearing WHYP -
'twas not at all uncommon to hear the needle get stuck at the end of an
album side for long stretches of time, among other things. Bad radio at its
finest, and I would LOVE to hear those airchecks.

James Brownyard died some years back, the FM (100.9) is now doing classic
rock for Erie as WRKT, "Rocket 100," and the daytime AM (1530) is now WEYZ
(an old Erie call), simulcasting classic country or something like that
from WWCB 1370 Corry PA over a bad phone line. "James Brownyard" and "WHYP"
live on, I'm told, as a frequently-heard pirate station on shortwave, with
programming that includes the occasional aircheck of the real WHYP...