New England Cable News

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Dec 20 13:16:26 EST 2003

At 11:03 AM 12/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm getting my first extended exposure to New England Cable News in a
>long time, and the first since CN8 came to the area last year.
>
>The programming is looking more and more magazine-like, like what CN8
>would put on its Mid-Atlantic channel. At this point I see no true
>purpose for NECN, especially since Comcast owns half of it.

Well, maybe you and I are watching different NECNs.  The one I watch has
some very credible news anchors like R.D. Sahl and former channel 5 (WCVB)
anchor Chet Curtis, as well as political commentary from both the left and
the right, excellent sports reporters, and solid coverage of New England
issues.  On the weekends and later in the evening, yes it becomes rather
magazine-like, but in prime time, I have found it often offers more
thorough coverage and longer pieces than the other local channels.  And
during the Red Sox' abortive run for the pennant, their two main sports
anchors were every bit as good as those on the better known stations.  I'd
be sorry if Comcast pulled the plug on them.