To clarify the Springfield WFSB scenario

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Sat Dec 20 08:53:02 EST 2003

On Dec 19, 2003, at 10:38 PM, Fitzpatrick, Mike wrote:

> It was announced in a recent newspaper article (in the Springfield
> Republican, although I can not place the date) that Meredith's "CBS3"
> in Springfield (properly known as WSHM-LP 67) will NOT carry a local
> newscast, at least anytime soon. Meredith states that it will cost too
> much to do a local newscast. However locally they will replace what
> would be local newscasts with syndicated programs.

So this is the opposite of what I had thought.  So Springfield-area
viewers will now be able to see syndicated shows instead of a
Hartford-based newscast.  WWLP 22 and WGGB 40 should benefit, then, at
least during their local newscasts.

This is a curious decision by WFSB.  Do they not have good ratings for
their news in Springfield and figure they'd do better with syndicated
shows?  (Sounds sort of like a Sinclair station, doesn't it?)

Paul