WBZ Production (Was: Storm hype?)

rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
Tue Dec 16 16:45:07 EST 2003

SteveOrdinetz asked:

>Speaking of production clichés, is anyone as tired as I am with the
>fad of the past few years on music stations for sweepers where every
>one seems to be :15 or longer with movie clips, pseudo-listener
>testimonials, etc.?   It started with CHR, but now seems to have
>spread to most other music formats.  It just sounds so cluttered with
>positioning statement, audio clip, another positioning statement,
>another clip, handle.

Last Saturday, I heard a promo ending with "94.9 FM, WHOM" followed by another promo starting with 94.9FM, WHOM and three other mentions of 94.9, WHOM" all in 15 seconds.  They (the omniescent "they") say "you can never say your station ID too often."  Doesn't it sound awkward and rather stupid to say it back-to-back? I know when I worked at WRKO, the jocks were instructed to THINK AHEAD, so that kind of stuff would NEVER HAPPEN.  e.g. with 90 minute min rotation on all songs, if there was a "#1 then, #1 now" coming up in the next 90 minutes, DON'T play the #1 song.

To quote a Bruds show bumper "Am I mistaken, or did the word 'THINK' escape your lips?"