Herald on Ch. 4 re-branding, Christmas stations

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 13:29:19 EST 2003

An article and a column from today's Herald about
WBZ-TV's re-branding as "CBS-4" and Boston's two
all-Christmas stations.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/business.bg?articleid=1065

Ch. 4's GM says that the WBZ name will "take a back
seat" and that some TV viewers, some 9 years after the
affiliation swap, still click on the station expecting
to find the likes of Jay Leno...

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNews/edgeTV.bg?articleid=314

All-Christmas stations WODS and WQSX figure to pick up
new listeners (or bring  back some old ones) with the
all-Christmas-tunes format. No word on how many people
will instead find themselves turning AWAY
from these stations, not just now but after Christmas
as well.

``I believe it will be a big promotion for us,'' said
WODS Program Director Greg Strassell, ``and that we'll
be reaching listeners who normally may not tune in and
reintroduce them to this frequency.

``We think there will be a lot of positives on Dec. 26
when we're playing '60s and '70s music again, and that
we'll have made some new friends.''

[...and ticked off some old ones :) ]