WBIX--Harvard Hockey

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psu.edu
Sat Dec 6 18:13:52 EST 2003

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:17:24, "Dan Strassberg" wrote:

> Just heard a promo on WBIX that says the games are coming soon to WBIX
> (meaning that whoever is responsible for the promo believes that the night
> signal will be on "soon"--whatever that means). In the meantime, the promo
> advises listeners to tune to WROL or WSRO, or to listen via the Web.
>
> For sure, the snow--whether it's coming down or just lying on the ground,
> doesn't simplify the job of tuning a complex AM directional array. Even if
> the snow doesn't obstruct access to the monitoring points, it increases the
> soil conductivity, making the adjustments more difficult.

The Globe's Bill Griffith mentioned this a couple weeks ago in his sports
radio/TV column.

As someone has mentioned here before, WHRB's signal so thumps that of any
station (740//1120, 1230//1300, 1510 back in the Talk America days,
etc.)/programmer that's attempted to do Harvard sports commercial broadcasts in
the past that it can't make too much money or get too many listeners anywhere
on the AM dial. The sole exception might be Harvard football; I could see a
broker wanting to anchor a Saturday football day on WJIB with Harvard football
and a college/high school scoreboard show afterwards potentially doing well for
themselves.