WPAA-FM Off-the-air

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Dec 2 16:57:26 EST 2003

After months and months and months of continuous unmodulated
"broadcasting", WPAA-FM 91.7, Phillips Andover Academy (silent)
radio is off-the-air, as of Tuesday, Dec 2 at 4:00 pm.
When I noticed the absence of this outlet, I decided to
drop by the quadrangle while it was still daylight to see if
the wind had blown down the 'tower'.  It's still in
place but there was no signal.   Parked on the little hill
tat is topped by the building with WPAA's antenna
(a single 3-ring horizontal-only element), I could pick
up both WUMB's Amesbury/Newburyport rebroadcaster amd
WMWMWMWM (I know how to spell it, I just don't know when to stop,
just like Sununununu).
I wonder if this was a conscious decision by the
school administration, or after months and months and months
of absolutely uninterrupted and probably unattended'
operation, the transmitter failed.   Will they turn it on again
if there is a problem, and if so, WHY?

Laurence Glavin