Liberal radio group buying five stations

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Tue Dec 2 14:30:24 EST 2003

Bob Nelson wrote...
>> I'd be curious about their proposed line-up.
>> Credible, entertaining
>> liberal talk hosts aren't exactly dime a dozen.
>
> Al Franken is being talked to; while he does have some
> bestselling books his voice is a bit too
> bland and monotonic for my ears.

Jim Hightower (who was on the list you linked to) is another with a rather
grating voice and accent.  Has he ever done a longform show?  I'm only
aware of shortform commentaries.

> Michael Jackson
> (no, not HIM, but a British-born talk host)
> used to do a national show and was on in LA for
> awhile but got dumped recently due to a format
> change. He's not too bad.

Didn't a Boston station carry him a few years ago?  The old WHDH maybe?  I
vaguely recall hearing him somewhere around here.

A lot of the hosts on that list seemed to be either NPR or Pacifica.  IMHO
Pacifica is way too far out there to have any real cred, and I question
how well NPR announcers will go over on commercial radio.  Commercial and
non-comm are really two different worlds (and audiences).