Today's LTAR: beautiful to rock; FM sports

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Mon Dec 1 12:50:08 EST 2003

On 11/30/03 2:23 PM, "dan.strassberg@att.net" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
wrote:

> Moreover, to keep within the rule that limits an FM DA's ratio
> of maximum to minimum radiation...

One station that I had heard was granted a "waiver" of that rule
Was Tufts University's WMFO 91.5. I heard than when they applied
to increase from ten watts to 125 watts in the early 80's, that
the FCC required them to apply to "waive" that rule because their
proposed power increase supposedly required a much more radical
directional pattern than would normally be allowed.

According to engineering documents I've seen on file at the
station, they're authorized for their full 125 watts due east
only (over Medford, Malden, Everett etc... and out to sea), but
due west (toward Arlington, Lexington) only gets two effective
watts in the extreme of the null!

They disappear and get overtaken by WUML (U. Mass Lowell) going
up the hill on Route 2 in Arlington just a few miles to the west.

Eli Polonsky