Re: Pro's & Kin's

I love to watch the new news anchors on TV in Maine.  We have a lot of
geographical names that are not easy to pronounce or are not pronounced the
way you would think they should be.  You would think the TV stations would
take some time to train their new people, but they never do.

Then there are ads voiced by out of state talent.

When I did high school football games, I would always catch up with the
coaches for new teams to go over pronunciations.  Names are particularly
trick in Franco-American communities where about half of the families go
with the English pronunciation of their sir names and the other half go with
the Franco pronunciation.  It was not unusual to have two players on the
same team with the same last name and two different pronunciations.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine