re: WJUL "Lowell SunRise"

At 12:22 PM 10/8/2003, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:11:11 -0400, Aaron Read <aread@speakeasy.net> said:
>
> > Still feel a public radio model would've been better, though.
>
>Hard to do with CPB policies as they are today.
>-GAWollman

Do you mean that they couldn't be a true CPB recipient?   If so, then
yes...that's true.  They'd be at least the fourth service to an area...even
though they might target a minority listenership, they're obviously not
minority-owned.  WUMB has struggled for many years since they're the third
public radio resource in Boston and therefore they qualify for much less in
the way of CPB funding than WBUR and WGBH do.   Their dependance on a
series of smaller radio signals vs. the powerhouses of WBUR and WGBH hasn't
helped, either.  :-)

However, my statement was referring more to just taking the public radio
style of WBUR, WNYC, WBEZ, NHPR, NPR etc etc etc and adapting it for
WJUL/Lowell.  AFAIK there's nothing stopping them from doing that.   If
you're going to be trapped by NCE underwriting rules, why not emulate those
that have figured out how to milk it for all it's worth?

BTW, is the SunRise exclusively locally-created content?  I can't listen to
enough of it to know for sure, but it sounds like it - even the traffic
reports...