Re: WJUL "Lowell SunRise"

At 02:01 PM 10/3/2003, Mission Control wrote:
>But this whole situation is less about the actual progam itself (how can
>one argue against a program that will reflect possitively on the
>University while attending to the needs of the community), but more about
>the process whereby this came to pass (Almost no student or actual
>University involvement, no outside sources or bidding, put together by an
>unknown committee headed by the ALTHLETIC Director, signed in the middle
>of summer - no classes, no students - by a Chancellor that has not talked
>to the students, nor acknowledged one letter to him about the matter. It
>was a breach of trust - an actionable offense, btw - between an
>organization created by a student and then operated and financially
>maintained directly by students for over 50 years, and the University
>obligated to educate the students).
>
>Whew. Sorry 'bout that! Yah, I guess I'm a little passionate about it...
>heheh.
>
>Mike

No problemo - passion is good.  :-)

To play devil's advocate, was it truly an actionable offense?  Universities
make major decisions that affect all or many students all the time....and
most of the time they make them with little or no student input, regardless
of who founded it or runs it.   Again, I think this particular process was
too closed myself, but I can't exactly fault it; it was practically SOP.

By the way, having had many friends who work in the Mass state college
system - the fact that Dana Skinner (the Athletic Director) headed the
committee to explore this is not unusual at all.  Policy usually dictates
that only one, if that, person on these search committees (for hiring new
positions) be directly connected to the department the position is
in.  It's a fail-safe for preventing bias in the hiring....the first search
committee has to judge solely on the criteria they've been told to judge
on, not on any personal knowledge of what skills/experience a candidate
might have that makes them better.

It's somewhat bizarre at times, and it can mean good candidates aren't
considered.   But it's also effective at reducing a pool of applicants that
can number in the 100's down to a manageable 3 or 4.

I don't know why the job was supposed to report to the athletic director at
first, and then was changed (to student activities and/or public
relations?).   I suspect it's because this job...even this
contract....doesn't fit the standard mold of positions within UML so it was
sort of a toss-up.   I imagine, but have no direct knowledge one way or the
other, that Skinner thought this entire project was a good idea and was
sort of a champion for it, even though he's not what you'd think of the
"normal" person to run this.  So while it was all still fluid and nothing
was set in stone, it was sort of floating under Skinner just because he was
the one doing the work.   After things were more firm, positions and
responsibilities shifted to more appropriate departments.   That may or may
not be the case here, but other new initiatives at other colleges
frequently follow this pattern.