Re: WJUL "Sunrise" Now Sounds Better

At 05:58 PM 10/6/2003, Laurence Glavin wrote:
>The content remains a bit schlocky, and never mind the
>underwriting announcements verging on commercials...
>the Sun is R-E-A-L-L-Y promoting itself and its
>website while pretending thereby to be offering content.
>
>Laurence Glavin

Earlier I mentioned that the SunRise is a radio show that needs to stand on
its own, not just be a commercial for the newspaper.   Since then, it's
occurred to me that in the real world, that's what it is; a commercial for
the newspaper.  Well, not quite...to digress:

The show is a radio show that needs to stand on its own...AND it is a
vehicle by which they can increase their readership.   There's no reason it
can't be both.   I personally feel the tub-thumping for the Sun (as I
called it) should be toned down somewhat.  It's rather blatant at the
moment and I think most folks would find it off-putting.  A more subtle
campaign would strike me as more appropriate.

For example, instead of flat out promos for the Lowell Sun and their staff,
why not a system in place where you can get the basic facts on the radio
show, but for more in-depth news and analysis, followup on the story at
their website or local news-stand.  It doesn't have to be beating folks
over the head with it - if they want to know more about the story they'll
gladly go get a paper.  If not, they won't and I doubt any amount of
advertising/promoing will change that.