Pat Whitley restaurant show

I was on another board and they were talking about the
dueling restaurant review shows-- Ch. 38's "Phantom
Gourmet" and NECN's "TV Diner". I mentioned that
there's been a restaurant review show on radio for
many years, probably much longer than "Phantom" and
that would be Pat Whitley's Sunday morning show (WRKO
and a few other stations.) I
think Pat even had a TV version going for awhile
(a half hour or hour on Sunday mornings.)

Supposedly Whitley's dining out show came about
because it was a hot summer day and nothing was going
on in the news, so he just asked people if they'd been
to any nice restaurants lately...and someone called up
and recommended Weylu's, etc. It took off from there.
And he does ads in the Herald and Globe in which he
has people offer their own restaurant reviews, and
"makes his money back" by selling ad space THERE to
dining establishments!

Do you remember...

--when Whitley used to plug diet "Malsovit bread"
on his show?

--the blooper Whitley used to play in which he
tried to record an ad for a food service-- "it comes
all prepared, just heat and eat." Only Pat said
"eat and heave" and he went into a long laughing fit.
At least he was pre-recording the spot; it wasn't
a live read. (Though he did "save it"...)