Re: talk radio changes, fill-ins

<<On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:27:23 -0400, Michael Beaulieu <mbeaulie@admin.umass.edu> said:

>> And taxpayer-funded NPR....

> never heard of it.

Since Paul is from New Hampshire, he might be interested in the latest
financial information from NHPR, for the fiscal year ended 2002-09-30.

Donations (``Membership''):	1,221,886
Advertising (``Underwriting''):	1,564,774
CPB (``Taxpayer-funded''):	  320,406
Other revenue and donations:	  195,237

Expenses (from the same statement):

Programming:			1,454,678
Overhead:			1,290,449
Operations:			  307,053
ID&A:				  271,887

That overhead is split up about equally among sales (``underwriting
development''), membership premiums, and administration.  (If I were a
potential member, I'd be a bit concerned about the high level of
membership expense, at 31% of membership revenue.)

Overall, NHPR lost $21,763 dollars last fiscal year.  I suspect that,
whatever happens, the CPB funding as a fraction of expenses will not
have increased when this year's financials are released.

-GAWollman