Re: Biddeford, Saco need to hear their high school sports

Chris Beckwith wrote:
>I quote from the article:
>
>"...the purchase of WIDE by Portland Radio Group has had fans in the twins
>cities wondering about the fate of their high school grid games.
>
>Wonder no longer. In all likelihood, the airwaves on either side of the
>bridge will remain quiet this fall."
>
>And that, dear friends, is the (Saga) bottom line...

--CONTRARY OPINION ALERT!--

I don't think this is a fair statement, just typical knee-jerk (not that
I'm calling anyone a jerk) corporate radio bashing.  Most high school
sports makes for pretty bad radio, and I question the amount of
listenership (or revenue for that matter) it generates.  My guess is that
the majority of people who could care two beans about a high school game
are probably there.  When you factor in the cost of announcers, a board op,
remote gear, phone lines, travel expenses, etc. it's as often as not a
break-even event...when you add in the fact that you're disrupting regular
programming, it's probably negative.  I'm not sure what a "grid game" is,
but I wonder just how many of these fans ever listen to the games on the
radio.  I always get a laugh at these "grass roots" protests everytime a
bottom-feeder radio station gets sold and the new owners clean house.

Flame on...