Re: Fwd: BRW: 'RKO lets morning guy Ozone go

At 02:27 PM 8/26/2003, Laurence Glavin wrote:
> >DATE: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:19:46
> >From: Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@yahoo.com>
> >To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
>
> >Details via the latest Boston Radio Watch:
>
> >http://commons.somewhere.com/bostonrw/2003/Boston.Radi>o.Watch.--.084.html
>
>It's also been in both Boston papers.  Never mind Vigue...
>could Chris Lydon be talked into getting up at 3:30 am?

Having spoken with several of Chris's close friends and associates since
his departure from WBUR...and knowing Chris myself...I wouldn't bet too
heavily on it.   After it was done and over with the sense was that he was
a little tired of the hectic pace a daily talk show required, and I don't
think money was really an issue...so I doubt WRKO can bribe him into doing
it.   Plus Chris as a talk show host just isn't as good when Mary McGrath's
not the senior producer (as evidenced by Chris filling in for Jay Severin
on WTKK a few years back...Mary wasn't there and while Chris was still
good, he wasn't as good as when he was on the Connection with her).

Speaking of WTKK...apparently the 20-odd minute commercial load every hour
was really annoying to him and the support crew (mostly former Connection
producers) that was with him.   Too long in the non-comm world I guess  :-)

 From what I'm told, he actually really enjoyed all the travel and cultural
interaction the "Whole Wide World" (WGBH/Harvard) series gave him.  So I
wouldn't be surprised to see more projects along those lines.   I think
Mary's kinda moved on as well.

That said, though...anything COULD happen.  I think if WRKO was really
serious about doing it and providing Chris the freedom he'd demand, and if
Mary could be brought on-board, it could work quite well.   It would mean
quite the sea change to WRKO's overall theme of loud right-wing-ish talk
show hosts, though.