Re: Major Power Outage

At 12:17 PM 8/18/2003, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>I really question EAS's role anymore  yes for severe weather it is useful
>but it wasn't used on 9/11.

I think a lot of people are starting to question EAS, which is a good
thing.  People are realizing that the system has serious flaws but also is
dramatically underused.  There's a lot of potential for EAS but it needs a
serious re-thinking in how it's to be used if it'll ever be truly effective.

EAS also wasn't used on 9/11 for some very good reasons.  Not the least of
which was that there was no action for the American public to
take.  Traditional media was doing a fine job getting the info out about
what was happening but there was nothing for Joe Average to actually
do.   In fact, the blackout was a better candidate for EAS National as it
affected a huge area of the country (and more than just the blacked out
areas) and there were things that people needed to do.  Such as turn off
all their appliances in anticipation of power slowly coming back on (and
thus reducing initial load) etc etc etc.