Re: Western Mass radio

<<On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:39:45 -0400, "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com> said:

> the Turnpike, I found that their signal was quite good even past
> Sturbridge.  I suppose they have a pattern that puts more signal
> south and east than north and west.

WARE is complementary to WKBR.  WARE's day pattern is sort of
kidney-bean-shaped (not quite a cardioid) with the pattern max at 252
degrees true.  The night pattern is a standard three-tower
``footprint'' with major lobe (and pattern max) at 139 degrees and
about 412 mV/m off the back side.  WKBR has a null at 214 degrees both
day and night to protect WARE and vice versa; this probably dates to
the time when WKBR increased to 5 kW-U.

WMTR has a CP for 7 kW-N which has an even deeper null precisely in
WARE's direction.  CBGA protects WKBR and WARE at night (both stations
are the same bearing from Matane).  The big source of interference to
WARE at night has got to be WEAE, which has priority on the channel
and sends close to its pattern max in the direction of WARE.  WKBR has
a daytime null in the direction of the former 1250 in Ottawa, and at
night sends everything to the southeast.  CJYE has a shallow null in
WKBR's direction for at least some of the patterns shown in the
database (I'm not sure which one is actually current), but the
nighttime pattern-min protects Pittsburgh (which makes sense).

-GAWollman