WUMF, WTOS

Driving around the Farmington, ME area last week and caught WUMF (100.1),
the University of Maine-Farmington station. They're on the air, playing
headbanging stuff, almost a non-comm clone of WTOS. The splatter with WMEK
(99.9 Auburn) got me wondering why WUMF made the move down to 100.1 from
100.5 a few years ago. I haven't checked the database, and should have, but
I was under the impression WUMF was also a leftover 10-watter...clearly
it's not anymore...its tiny, circular, rooftop two-bay job carries the
signal a solid 10 miles out of town.

And more WTOS dx...had them in stereo, with minimal fading, on Campobello
Island, New Brunswick last week. Eyeballing the map says it's approx 200 mi
from Sugarloaf to Eastport. Not bad.

Sid Whitaker

http://mail2web.com/ .