Re: Massachusetts Amber Alert

At 01:44 PM 8/8/2003, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:26:04 -0400, "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@tmail.com> said:
>
> > One major hole that needs to be addressed is NESN as this time of year
> > it is on many nights the most watched station in the Boston market.
>
>Cable systems can and should (and I believe are supposed to) use a
>cherrypicker to insert EAS alerts into their data streams on all
>channels.
>
>-GAWollman

Yes, if they have more than 5000 subscribers, they are required to have and
test their EAS.  However, I believe that for cable and TV, like radio,
participation in State EAS Plans is optional.  The only thing they're
required by law to participate in is National Level alerts; which are
solely comprised of messages from the President of the US, and national
administrative/test messages...neither of which has ever been done to my
knowledge.