Re: Massachusetts Amber Alert

There's nothing in the original press release from the Commonwealth about
parental abduction vs. non-parental abduction. Here's what the original
release said:
"The alerts are expected to be issued very rarely. To meet the criteria for
an alert, the abduction victim must be 18 or under and believed by police
to be in danger of serious bodily harm or death. Also, there must be enough
descriptive information about the child, the abductor and/or the abductor's
vehicle to assure an immediate broadcast alert will be effective."
http://www.state.ma.us/eops/releases/amber.htm

However, according to the Mass Chiefs of Police Association, "Amber Alerts
are not intended for missing child incidents, runaways, or child custody
situations."
http://www.masschiefs.org/hottopics/hot_aalert.html

Maybe the concern over the safety of the children outweighed the policy on
custody issues.

At 07:17 AM 8/8/2003 -0400, *Bill wrote:
>Same Thought.
>
>I'll have to Look at the Mass Chiefs of Police Web Page and double check the
>guidelines there as well.
>
>Non-Parental...O well
>It worked, the Kids or the person they were with Say themselves talked about
>on TV and called the Police.
>
>Bill

-John Maihos, Guide to Boston on About
Web site: http://boston.about.com