Re: More news on WJUL

Aaron Read wrote:

>Might I add that building a satellite studio is (probably) a very dumb
>idea.  It worses the already-bad "us vs. them" mentality at WJUL and I
>wouldn't be surprised at all if WJUL could really benefit from all new
>studios anyway.  Plus if you're going to blow all the money to build a
>decent news satellite studio, you could build a full-fledged one for
>far less than to build both separately.  It's a real waste.
>
>The exception here is if they're building a really cheesy satellite
>studio that doesn't have much in the way of real studio amenities and
>it's a temporary home while the real studios are built.
Where did you get the term "Satellite?"  I didn't see that in the article.

It would make perfect sense to build a satellite studio in the Lowell Sun Building (Lowell's Greatest Newspaper - 15 Kearny Square - Paul Sullivan) if (as previously suggested) their (hidden) agenda was the Lowell Sun having their own radio station.  That way, when full-time  control of a station becomes theirs, the studio is right where they want it.  It also would allow the Sun to provide news-related resources just a few footsteps away from the studio.

The Globe article notes (short quote for purpose of scholarly review):

"Dunlap points out that the new show's proposed editorial board will have only one place for a Sun representative. The remaining seven positions allow for five university representatives and two students, one from the student government and one (to be named) from among the WJUL volunteers."

This sounds just a little lop-sided, to me.

Roger Kirk

From: Aaron Read <aread@speakeasy.net>
Date:  Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:43:52 -0400