RE: WWZN speculation

> From: rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
> Date: Mon,  4 Aug 2003 14:49:55 -0400
> To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org, elipolo@earthlink.net
> Subject: RE: WWZN speculation
>
> Eli Polonsky "elipolo@earthlink.net" noted:
>
>> I'd love to see 1510 go 50's/60's oldies like WSAI or
>> WWKB, but anyone who would possibly want to do it seems
>> to know better than to consider trying it with that
>> albatross of a facility!
>
> Didn't Jim Grant (a.k.a. The Q) and others already try
> that once?

I don't recall 1510 ever having an oldies or rock'n'roll format
of any sort since the original WMEX died in the mid 70's.

(The only exception being Little Walter buying time on weekends
for "The Time Machine" for a while in the early 80's on WMRE,
which was a short-lived big band/standards/nostalgia format on
1510 that sold a lot of airtime).

You may be thinking of 1150 AM, the second WMEX in Boston. That
was run by Greater Media, and was oldies from 1985 to late 1989.
Quentin "The Q" Migliore was originally the music director and
mid-day host for the first couple of years.

Besides mismanagement which included consistently letting their
best talent go to save money and running boring generic birdfed
oldies at times in a major market, 1150 AM WMEX couldn't survive
as an oldies station for long after 103.3 FM flipped to oldies
as WODS in fall 1987.

However, at that time, WMEX and WODS were competing playing music
from the same era, from the mid 50's to the very early 70's.
There was very little to differentiate the two, and WODS had the
far superior signal.

A new incoming PD in fall 1988 got rid of all the lesser-heard
oldies that gave WMEX a "cult following" 1 share against WODS that
year and playlisted it with the same hits that WODS was playing,
but with an AM signal. That was the nail in the coffin for oldies
on 1150 WMEX, it was down to .02 when it died a year later.

FM oldies stations such as WODS had not yet gone into mid-to-late
70's/early 80's disco and soft rock and dropped everything pre
1964, as most major market FM oldies stations now have. The few
stations like WSAI have come on to fill a niche for 50's and early
to mid 60's oldies that is no longer being served by most major FM
oldies stations, and is doing fairly well with it in Cincinnati
considering that it's an AM playing music that's considered passe
these days.

Nowadays with WODS no longer playing any 50's and playing a lot
more 70's than 60's music, there could be a niche for a "Real
Oldies" format like WSAI here. It would be no ratings topper by
any means, but could probably at least hold it's own if done well
on a decent signal, even if largely voice-tracked (like WSAI).

1510 has a decent signal over the city and the immediate metro
suburbs within Route 128, even at night. Since it's been dying
with it's current programming, I think it would be a good place
for a "Real Oldies" format now. However, everyone seems to have
the sense to stay away from that problematic money pit of a site.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .