Re: radio psychics

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 1:32PM -0500, Donna Halper wrote:

> ...was wondering if any of you have had a psychic on
> your station.  If so, was he or she a popular feature? Who mostly
> called-- men or women?  And while you and I may think these folks are
> phonies, there are people who swear by them-- anybody got a theory as
> to why psychics remain popular?

I had an interesting experience with one in 1976 when I was working at WHUC in Hudson NY.  I was a jock at the station:  a psychic (Anne Fisher, well known and still practicing in the Albany NY area) was coming in to do our noon time talk show with our PD.  The psychic took one look at our PD and announced that she couldn't do the show with him, because he had a "black aura".  She then looked at me and said, "I'll do the show with him, though."  As it was 5 minutes to air time, I did the show (my one and only experience in talk radio, BTW)... the program, and subsequent ones I did with her where wildly popular, with people calling hours later wondering if she was still at the station.  I thought at the time, as I do know, that there's various reasons for their popularity:  on radio, it's free (you pay if you go see them, of course...); people are always looking for an answer, a direction, a hint as to what's next in their lives, and perhaps a psychic can provide that hint.  It's also, for some people, just a fun thing to do.  I always wondered... could a regular psychic radio show, or an all psychic station work?

Rick Kelly
www.northeastairchecks.com

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!