Re: WBUR pre-recording underwriting

On 21 Jul 2003 at 15:59, Aaron Read wrote:

> Just curious, what have folks thought of WBUR's decision to pre-record
> their underwriting spots (to their AudioVault, presumably) and drop them in
> and around a live announcer?

I hate it!  I've always liked the idea that WBUR had a live announcer
24 hours a day, an important image for a station that is pretty much
all news.  The live reads of the "funded by" announcements were a
constant reminder that some part of the station was always live.

Plus, having the announcements done by the same announcer
who's delivering the weather, station ID, and other info makes them
sound less like intrusive, annoying commercials.

This is the kind of thing that average listeners will never notice
outright, but they will think WBUR sounds more canned and
commercial than they used to, without being able to tell you why.

Mark Laurence
mlaurence@mindspring.com