Re: Boston Globe Real Estate Article on Emerson College

At 01:15 PM 7/19/2003, Laurence Glavin wrote:
>Today's Boston Globe (07/19) has an article in the Real Estate
>section about the burgeoning presence of Emerson College near
>the Common.  This may be a bit off-topic, but the article does
>mention that one of the newly refurbished buildings will
>house "state-of-the-art" facilities for the school's radio
>station. (It doesn't mention WERS by name, but since this is the
>Globe, they probably would have gotten them wrong anyway.)
>The URL is:
>
>http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/200/realestate/Emerson_takes_center_stage_at_Midtown+.shtml
>
>Laurence Glavin

Your post threw me a little there, Laurence, since WERS already HAS
state-of-the-art studios; the facilities in the Ansin building next door to
the Loews movie theater are to die for.

Reading the article a little closer:
***********
Now, the 3,200-student communications and performing arts college is at a
watershed. Last week, Emerson won final city approval to build a $75
million, 600-bed dormitory on the Piano Row section of Boylston Street in
the Theater District. Construction is to start next winter. And by Labor
Day, Emerson is scheduled to open its $35 million Tufte Performance and
Production Center. State-of-the-art broadcast studios, two small theaters,
dressing rooms, and loading docks will be shared with the Cutler Majestic
Theatre at Emerson College, a 1,200-seat Beaux Arts venue built in 1903
that reopened in May, after a $14 million restoration.

I suspect what they're talking about is a system by which they'll be able
to do radio theater in the new building and pipe it back over to the
existing WERS studios for broadcast and/or further editing.   I strongly
doubt that they're planning on moving WERS again.  (and apologies if that's
not what you were thinking!)