Re: Boston Globe Online / Sports / WWZN cuts staff and programming

On 20 Jul 2003 at 10:32, Dan.Strassberg@att.net wrote:

>However, the 1260 site has a key advantage
> over 1510's old Quincy site. The 1260 site is west of the State St South
> office complex, whose construction was the final nail in the coffin for
> 1510's operation from its old site, which was east of the office complex.
> The State St South construction absolutely ruined 1510's already miserable
> night signal in areas west of Boston.

I lived in Bedford back in the 1960s, and at first I tended to avoid listening to WMEX because
of its poor signal.  There was WBZ, WCOP, and since I had an FM radio, WKBR.  The only
time I would listen to WMEX was on Sunday evening, when Arnie Ginsburg would play
oldies.  It always bothered me that I couldn't here favorite songs any more after they dropped
from the hit parade, so I would listen to oldies shows whenever I could find them.  Besides
Arnie Ginsburg on Sunday nights, the other one I listened to regularly was Saturday
afternoons on WKBR, where they played the hits from one year ago.  Listening to Arnie
Ginsburg in the evening was hard, since the signal was so bad and WKBW kept intruding.

After WCOP dropped the top-40 format in the summer of 1962, I started listening to WMEX
more, and it was then that I discovered that (a) the daytime signal was quite listenable, and
(b) the station had a personality that I really liked.  Eventually, when I listened to WMEX on
the car radio, I discovered that the nighttime signal was listenable, at least in the car, almost
everywhere except my neighborhood.  As soon as I would turn off the main road, the signal
would fade out.  The same thing also used to happen to the WCRB 1330 nighttime signal.