Fwd: Tanglewood

>DATE: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:09:02
>From: "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
>To: "Boston Radio Interest \(E-mail\)" <boston-radio->interest@bostonradio.org>

>Just checked out the intro announce to the Tanglewood >broadcast for tonight
>(WAMC//WANC 103.9 Ticonderoga) and he says that the >first part of the program
>would be blacked-out for bcast and that another piece >would be run instead.
>What's the deal there?

>Bill O'Neill

I thought that a visit to WAMC's website would provide the
solution, but instead it provides a link to the
Boston Symphony's website.  However, I do have a theory:
Saturday night was an all-Beethoven concert so everything was
in the public domain.  Occasionally, and very rarely, the
composer of a brand-new piece may withhold broadcast
rights if his or her composition appears on a concert
being broadcast....but this was not the case.
However, the pianist was Van Cliburn who has some of the
tendencies of your neighbor, J. D. Salinger.  He's not that
hermetic, but it's possible he would not allow his performance to
be aired, live at least in case he flubbed up.
That's my theory, and it could only be undermined if it was
broadcast elsewhere.  Obviously, no one was listening to
WCRB (as usual);  WFCR in Amherst carries the BSO;  did anybody
catch their broadcast?

Laurence Glavin