Re: New station for Portsmouth?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
 Actually, I think
> >LPFM stands for "Lottsa Poor Fools Money" down the drain.  :0
> >
> >Dan
>

> Not really - that would imply that LPFM stations actually have money to
> spend; my experience would indicate this is not the case.
>
> In fact, far too many people have been perpetuating the myth that a radio
> station, even an LPFM, is not a business.  I'm sorry, it is.  Rent,
> utilities, staff costs, maintenance, repair...all must be paid for and all
> cost money.  Pirates would have us think that you can be on the air for
> $500.  BULLS**T!   There is no way a station will less than, say, $20,000
> in start-up capital, is gonna survive for long. Even Allston-Brighton Free
> Radio cost nearly $6000 to start and that was with free rent at Herrell's
> Ice Cream.

Agreed that it takes a lot of start-up capital to get a station...any
station...on the air.
And since this is supposed to be a 'community' project in Portsmouth...a lot
of people are going to be asked to chip in through fund-raising efforts,
etc, etc.
I just don't see it flying in this market.  Too many other choices...and a
wide variety of formats are already within easy reach on the dial.
They may get it going...but its prospects for long-term survival are
limited, IMHO.  I could be wrong.  I kind of hope I am.

Dan Cole