Re: All Beatles

>On yesterday's Let's Talk About Radio, it was
>mentioned that a station was stunting with all
>Beatles
>and it was said that you couldn't go too long with
>such a format..."how many songs did they put out,
>anyway, or how many albums?"

<sinp>

>Take those albums; now add stuff like the "Anthology"
>sets, "Live at the Hollywood Bowl", etc....AND add
>solo records ("George Harrison Live in
>Japan"; John's "Walls and Bridges", etc.)...you
>actually COULD have quite a bit of songs. You could
>even throw in cover versions of Beatle tunes (think
>how many versions of "Yesterday" there were!) But
>yes, it would only take you so far.

I seem to recall a couple of years ago, Scott Fybush
mentioned in Northeast Radio Watch that a station in
upstate NY, IIRC it might have been in Syracuse or
Rochester, was going to commence an all ABBA format -
this in the wake of the success of the Mama Mia
musical. I'm not sure how long ABBA 24/7 can be a
viable radio format.

I dare say if you take the entire recorded output of
the Beatles, even if you went back to bootleg
Quarrymen recordings or something, probably you only
wind up with about oh I'd hazard a guess of maybe
16-20 hours of programming AT MOST before you had to
repeat the whole playlist. This is even allowing for
ads, chatty DJs, TOH news bullietns...etc.

If you just take the official recorded output of the
Beatles on EMI/Apple records, it would only amount to
about 6 or 8 hours of programming.

Post Beatles, Paul McCartney is the only former Beatle
that has a relatively extensive recorded catalog.

Sincerely,
Hakim Madjid
Program Manager,
Jet Propelled, Guided, and Self Contained NAFFI
GOONS Aerospace, PLC