Re: Third-adjacent rules

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Sean Smyth wrote:

> Recently, I've read on this list and elsewhere on the topic of the FCC
> looking at potentially revamping third-adjacent regulations. Hasn't there
> been a study in recent months, or one is about to be planned, on this
> particular issue?
>
> My question is this: how will such rules affect the Boston radio landscape
> in particular, and the Northeast in general? The region is packed with
> allocations under current rules. Will any potential rule revisions just
> relax interference overlap or will it open the door for move-ins and
> reallocations and a perpetual agenda of changes in COLs and transmitter
> sites?

The station that would most likely be thrilled with relaxation of
third-adjacent rules would be Entercom's WAAF - their proximity to 106.7
and 107.9 keeps them from moving much closer without compromising their
signal strength, under the current rules.

Perhaps it would allow WBRS improve their signal (additional power,
directivity), that (in the current rules) their proximity to WZLX and WKLB
currently prohibits.

This excepting the non-comm band, of course.

-Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Pittsburgh, PA (currently in Somerville, MA)