Re: radio, TV with gavel-to-gavel coverage of Bulger hearing

At 12:48 PM 6/19/2003, Donna Halper wrote:
>At 07:29 AM 6/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>There's gavel-to-gavel coverage on local radio and TV
>>of the Congressional hearings regarding Billy Bulger
>>and the relationship between the FBI and
>>the Mob; Whitey Bulger, John Connolly, Joe Salvati,
>>and so on.
>
>What is utterly bizarre to me is that Billy insisted under oath that he
>had no idea his brother was engaged in, as he put it, "nefarious
>activities."  Listening to the imperious manner with which he responded to
>questions is something I find amazing-- so this is how he ran the
>legislature for those many years... clearly, very little intimidates this
>guy.   I am glad WBZ radio is carrying it, as most of us have never heard
>how Billy handles his critics...

You'd be surprised...I saw the adaptation of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's
Night's (in Boston) Dream" with local bigshots and pols playing various
roles (and I was amazed at how BAD Mayah Menino was!) a few years ago, and
Billy Bulger was in it...and he virtually cracked under the pressure up on
stage. He was almost sobbing in tears...to the point where he remarked
"I've never been more terrified in my life, folks!"

One wonders if he was hamming up for the crowd or really that afraid.  If
he was faking it, he was a pretty good actor, then (I was only four rows back).

Hmmm...now that I think about it...I'm only "pretty sure" it was Bulger who
did that.  This was four years ago and I didn't know a lot of the people up
there except when they said "President of Fleet Bank" or something like
that, and my memory might be betraying me.  Can't seem to find anything on
the web about it...was anyone else at the show?  I think it was at the
Huntington Theater...