Subject: MEDIA BLITZ BY JOHN MOLORI--LAVANCHY CONFIRMS MOVE 6/19/03
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:11:17 EDT

MEDIA BLITZ
By John Molori

Lavanchy confirms move to Fox25

       After 10 years, Gene Lavanchy's career at WHDH-TV Channel 7 is
over,
effectively immediately.

       Lavanchy has agreed in principle on a deal with Fox25 to cohost
the
station’s new morning news program alongside Jodi Applegate.   The
show is set to
debut in September.

       WHDH news director Ed Kosowski told Media Blitz, “Gene is
done.   We do
not anticipate him returning to the Channel 7 airwaves.   His contract
has
expired.”

       Sources told Media Blitz that Lavanchy's departure from Channel 7
centers around money.   He reportedly was offered a contract at far less
money that
other Boston sports anchors are making.

       Lavanchy denies the money rumors stating, “This is about new
challenges
and the opportunity to do something for my family.   The hours will be
so
much better.   It is all I could have hoped for.”

        Kosowski would not comment on the financial details of the
breakup,
but did state, “Gene’s decision is a combination of personal and
professional.
  We wanted Gene to stay and we wish him the best.   He is a talented guy
and
I have great respect for him.”

       Kosowski came to Channel 7 two years ago.   He states, “I knew
we
needed to make some changes, but once Gene and I found some common
ground, things
got better.   As recently as five or six weeks ago, I thought we were
headed in
the right direction.”

        In September of 2002, Lavanchy told Media Blitz that he and the
station would part ways upon the June 2003 expiration of his contract,
but in April,
he did an about-face stating, “I fully expect that we’ll have
something done
very soon.

       “I’d like to get a five-year deal.   That security is
important to me
at this stage of my career.   I feel really good about things right
now.

       “The relationship of the whole department has gotten better.
We had
two new producers come in after my longtime friend and producer Andy
Sugg (now
with WEEI) was let go.   I worked with Andy for 10 years.”

       Lavanchy continued, “It was an uncomfortable time for all of
us.
Everything is clicking now.   It’s worked out better than I had
hoped.   Ed Kosowski
challenged me to kick things up a notch and I feel like I have
responded.”

       Lavanchy's 7 Sports Xtra show (Sundays, 11:25 p.m.), has been a
ratings
winner, challenging and/or beating WBZ’s Sports Final on a regular
basis.

       “The Fox25 opportunity fell into my lap at the last second,”
says
Lavanchy.   "Channel 7 has been great to me for ten years.   They
allowed me to
fulfill a lifelong dream.”

       Kosowski says that current sports anchors Joe Amorosino, Gary
Gillis
and Kip Lewis will man the anchor desk and be considered as permanent
replacements for Lavanchy.   He also plans to interview outside
candidates.

       He has set no timetable for a new hiring and wishes Lavanchy the
best.
  “There is absolutely no bitterness or controversy in Gene’s
departure.   We
wanted to keep him.   He just found a better opportunity.”

       Lavanchy joins WBZ’s Scott Wahle, Frank Mallicoat of WB56 and
Channel 5’
s Ed Harding in making the jump from sports to news.   He states,
“I’m not
frightened at all by the change.   It’s a risk, but what the hell.
I’ll put
everything I have into the show to make it a success.”

       Fox25 news director Lisa Hall is on vacation and could not be
reached
for comment.   Phone calls to managing editor Tom Luft and to Applegate
have
gone unanswered.

John Molori’s Media Blitz column is published weekly in The Boston
Metro, The
Providence Journal, The Lawrence Eagle-Tribune, The Lowell Sun and at
MethuenOnline.com.   John can be reached via E-mail at JOMOL3@aol.com.