Fwd: Ease of media ownership rules?

>DATE: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:48:08
>From: "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
>To: "Boston Radio Interest \(E-mail\)" <boston-radio->interest@bostonradio.org>
>
>The Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp->dyn/articles/A46820-2003May12.html
>published details of the proposed changes.  The >article says that "among the
>proposals is one to allow a single company to own TV >stations that reach 45
>percent of U.S. households instead of the current 35 >percent."  The 8 radio
>station ownership cap is not expected to change under >the current proposal.

>Bill O'Neill

There was a small stoy tucked away in the Wall Street Journal's
"Marketplace" Section about how Rupert is trying to have
it both ways.  He wants the FCC to keep its Dred-Scott-like
practice of listing UHF TV stations as reaching just
one-half of the market of V's in the same city, while
at the same time upping the total reach percentage.
This 50% penetration for U's is a vestige of broadcast
TV.  Cable has eliminated the UHF penalty for the 75%+
who get cable.  If the FCC equalized the penetration
parameters (whoa...this sounds like a lot of the spam I receive)
between VHF and UHF, Rupert would be at 45% already!

Laurence Glavin