Re: WBUR & Fresh Air

I think I've been hearing a lot more of the BBC on WBUR than I did at least
until the war began. I don't like the BBC much. It's DULL radio AND WBUR
repeats most of the segments MANY times. However, don't you suppose that the
BBC is cheaper than the NPR feeds? Also, I imagine that during the war, WBUR
got a lot of favorable reaction to the Beeb. War junkies just HAD to hear
those "up-to-the minute" reports from Basra and Baghdad six, eight, ten times
over two or three days! Moreover, maybe Queen Jane is trying to get WHYY (which
produces Fresh Air) to carry The Connection and On Point. Not running Fresh Air
could be her way of making her point. I think that if Fresh Air isn't heard in
a large market like Boston, WHYY loses some revenus. Similarly, if WBUR's shows
aren't heard in Philadelphia, WBUR loses revenue. The only WBUR show that's a
guaranteed carry in most markets is Car Talk because it's the #1 source of
listener contributions at just about every NPR affiliate that airs it.

Too bad that Dave Faneuf no longer posts here.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205