Re: Pop Songs In Commercials

--- tony schinella <radiotony@attbi.com> wrote:
> As a musician, I was never keen on the use of songs
> in advertising.

I don't mind it so much. Speaking of which: I like the
use of ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky" in the Volkswagen
TV spots (made me say to myself, "wow, this song is
pretty good when you think about it"). And I notice
a couple obscure, "alternative" songs being used:

A remake of "Rattle My Bones", done originally
by the 80s new-wave band The Suburbs (from
Minneapolis), is now featured in an ad for the Gap.
(It uses the old medley about the footbone-connected-
to-the-ankle-bone, etc.) And an ad I saw for Kohl's
uses what sounds like a Jonathan Richman song
(something about an ice cream man); the Needham
native best known for "Roadrunner". Richman's music
was featured prominently in "There's Something
About Mary". His music was also covered in the
Sex Pistols movie "The Great Rock and Roll Swindle"
("Roadrunner", by the Pistols) and "Repo Man"
("Pablo Picasso", by Burning Sensations).