Re: WROR on FM-128?

Very true, John.  I couldn't agree more.  It makes
good sense to have a separate backup in place at a
separate location other than your main.  Case in
point, since 9-11, some of the NYC FM'ers are still
trying to get some semblance of "what was" at the WTC.
 Just ask the folks at Columbia University's WKCR
(89.9).  This station, once one of the best WTC FM
signals in NYC, is nothing but a whisper of its'
former self on a small stick with a few hundred watts
atop a campus building.   Coverage, LOUSY! But, more
on that later in another posting.

Naturally, any backup system will probably be of a
lower wattage in order to keep the spacing within the
contours of the main site.

For example, hypothetically, even though today's WROR
(formerly WKOX-FM, WVBF...et.al....) is still
technically licensed to Framingham and was actually
transmitting from there on the old WKOX tower back in
the early 1970's, the Framingham site could never be
put into service once again since the current main
site has contours that would not meet the contours of
the old site (which had a stronger signal to the Metro
West and Southern New Hampshire) .  WROR (again,
formerly WKOX-FM) was originally simply a Metro West
station and Boston was pretty much an "afterthought".
But, times have changed and 105.7 is pretty much now a
Boston station.

Same with 93.7 WQSX.  What was a Lawrence and
Merrimack Valley station is now basically a Boston
area station.  If they used the old WCGY facilities
for backup purposes, they would have to lower the
power somewhat to stay within the contours of the main
(Peabody) site.  A double edged sword in some ways, I
guess.  But, that's progress for ya'.

73,

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

--- BriMatt1@aol.com wrote:
> That's correct...they moved their main to the Pru
> after Greater Media bought them.  I was managing
> FM-128 site for American Tower back then.
>
> Their plan was to buildout FM-128 as an aux site for
> all of the stations on the Pru.  Looking at the
> power level, this makes sense.  (aux sites contours
> must fall within the main sites contours)
>
> John Kennedy
> Director of Engineering
> Entercom Boston, LLC

=====