Re: DJs Suspended for Playing Dixie Chicks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@tmail.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>; "Boston Radio"
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: DJs Suspended for Playing Dixie Chicks

> I hope they get many job offers with more enlightned companies.
>
> Based on sales of their upcoming tour Dixie Chicks rank at or near top
> in popularity in countryland. Problem today is most major advertisers
> scared silly over possible boycotts from conservatives.

The record sales and concert numbers are not necessarily proof of the band's
popularity with the average listener to a country station.  The band has
become a cross over act.  The recent controversy may have made that even
more true (New marketing strategy: Hate Bush, Buy the Chicks!)  Their
concerts are attended by lots of young women -- not the target demo for most
country stations.  A have a college aged niece who has friend who love the
Chicks and Alison Krauss but they would never think of listening to WPOR.

It could very well be that a country station's listeners would still rather
not have the station play the Chicks, despite the data you cite.  I tend to
think that the controversy has passed, but the bottom line is that when you
agree to work for a radio station, you agree to play what they tell you to
play.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine