Re: Early religious broadcasting

Garrett wrote:
<< This seems very doubtful.  What there probably were,
were
restrictions
on the fraction of the program day broadcasters could
lease out. >>

Indeed, you are correct. In 1960, the FCC apparently
changed its policy on distinguishing leased time from
free, or sustaining, air time. Thus, brokering out a
half-hour to Rev. Joe Schmoe would have posed a hardship.

Of course, those same religious leaders frozen out of the
broadcasts also felt their was a left-wing conspiracy to
put them off the air (the way I read into it).

For a somewhat interesting history if anyone is
interested, I suggest this web page (the source for my
above comments):
http://religiousbroadcasting.lib.virginia.edu/pubs/global_amtv.html