Re: Old dogs...old tricks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: Old dogs...old tricks

> Anyways, lots of times as an engineer you are specifically told NOT to do
> things - even if they're prudent - because management doesn't want to risk
> finding something wrong that might cost money to fix.   It's an idiotic
> mindset, but it's very common.
>
> However, if you pass a friendly note - as I have just done this morning,
> since I know some of the crew there - to the engineer then he/she now has
> means of going to management and saying "Look - we have a problem whether
> you like it or not and it has to be fixed!"    Of course, mgmt may still
> choose to ignore the problem.   And in such a case I would not stand in
> your way if you attempted to inform the FCC with the intent to "bust"
> them.   However, I feel obligated to at least give the engineer a chance
> before bringing down any thunder on them...since you can bet mgmt will
> blame the engineers if the FCC visits, even if it's mgmt's fault.

Your post makes no sense.  If the engineer is aware of the problem and has
not informed management, he is not due a warning.  If he has informed
management of the problem and they told him not to spend the money to fix
it, how can management blame him for the fine?

In any case, ownership would pay the fine, not the engineer.

-- Dam Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine