RE: Clear Channel cuts out the indies

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:08:07 -0400
> From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@bit-net.com>
> Subject: Re: Clear Channel cuts out the indies
>
> The article references WBCN going classic rock in the late 80s.
> Guess I missed that...isn't that about the time they became altrock?

I recall WBCN in the late 80's as still an AOR that was trying to
cover a number of bases. I believe this was around the time of their
"Classic To Cutting Edge" promo campaign.

They were still competing with WZLX at the time (not co-owned yet) so
they were heavy on the classic rock, but also playing then-current
80's mainstream AOR sprinkled with a bit of the more accessible new
"alternative" and what I call "classic new wave" (hits of the late
70's/early 80's "new wave heyday" like Blondie, Talking Heads, Clash,
Elvis Costello) to try to retain some of the "hipness" quotient they
developed during that period.

It wasn't until 1995, a bit over a year or so after Infinity's purchase
of WZLX, that WBCN went all "modern" or "alternative", and all the
classic rock was finally relegated to WZLX, leaving the two now
co-owned stations non-competing and serving different niches. WBCN's
new competitors were now weak-signaled WFNX and rimshot signal WAAF.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .