Re: WNSH--most powerful North Shore AM?

As usual, 100,000watts is wrong. (Despite the fact that the site is now
maintained by the normally scrupulously accurate Scott Fybush, errors abound
there.) At least six months ago, WNSH discovered that it could not make its new
500W night facilities work, and applied for and was granted authority to remain
a class D AM with some really low nondirectional power at night. I don't
remember the night power, but I believe it is way less than 100W--maybe 16W or
8W. Should the CRTC ever grant a new station to replace the long-dark CKLM
Laval (Montreal) PQ, WNSH's night service will become totally useless and the
station will be forced to sign off at sunset because the signal will receive
severe interference--even if the listener and his portable radio stand on the
quite inadequate ground system.

As far as I know, the 5 kW day facilities were never completed won't be. The
station IS operating from its new site at Endicott College, but all of the
towers required for the 5-kW day operation weren't constructed. Hence, the day
power is, and will remain 500W--with a waiver of the minimum antenna-efficiency
requirements. The waiver was necessary because of the inadequacy of the ground
system.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205