Re: TV coverage and Iraqi media....

At 08:08 PM 4/10/2003 -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:28:56 -0400, "Joseph Pappalardo"
><joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > Say, do you think 1 AM station could cover the entire country if engineered
> > correctly?
>
>I doubt it.  Consider what the ground conductivity is likely to be in
>the desert....
>
>-GAWollman

Consider your geography a little better Garrett...Iraq isn't the cradle of
civilization for nothing, a sizable portion of it is in a fairly fertile
river plain from the Tigris and the Euphrates.   A hefty area in the south
used to be mostly marshland until Saddam drained it in retaliation for the
uprisings after the first Gulf War.

Now, granted, if you're in western Iraq...that's mostly desert.  And
northern Iraq is not exactly desert in the common sense, but it's pretty
dry and and hilly...if not mountainous.   So yeah, I could see AM not
working as well there.

Again, though, XERF made it to the other side of the globe for cryin' out
loud.  So I'd say it could be done.   Of course, you'd need to stabilize
the power source, first....a XERF-type station would probably account for
half of pre-war Baghdad's power usage.  :-)