Re: The Game is Over

At 07:21 PM 4/9/2003 -0400, Dan Billings wrote:
>The government has no control of the non-embedded reports.  The embedded
>reports sign a contract on what not to report, but the government does not
>censor their reports, though they can get kicked out if they violate the
>contract so that probably does result in self-censorship.

Yep, you got it.   Now that the main thrust of the war is past...despite
the fact that there's lots left to do it...I wouldn't be surprised if the
reporters have less self-censorship to worry about.   Perhaps not a lot,
but at least a little.

BTW - the military can and does control non-embedded reporters.  You think
those reporters are going to use their satellite phones after the military
warns them that any unauthorized radiation sources will be targeted and
bombed??

>More interesting was listening to an ITN reporter in Baghdad talk about how
>much the Iraqi minders effected what he reported before today.

Now that I'll believe.

But I still think Joe Isuzu should be the next Iraqi Information
Minister....who cares if he's fictional?   These days I'm thinking Dick
Cheney doesn't really exist anymore either  :-)